It’s not a secret that search engine optimization (SEO) is important to the success of your website, but here are a few stats to really hit home the importance of increasing your web traffic.
Different studies have put the traffic share of the first position on the search at around 33% of the clicks, the second position getting around 15% of share, 9% going to number 3, and steeper drop offs after number 5. What’s even more shocking is 75% of people don’t even bother clicking on the second page of their Google search results. These stats are not here to scare you but rather light a fire under you to get thinking about how you can increase your web traffic, and lucky for you, we have a 5 great tips on how to get started!
1. Focus on Website Usability
Making sure that your website is easy to use and navigate should be a top priority, and search engines reward sites that are user-friendly. Google especially favors sites that demonstrate high user engagement. SEO ranking improves when visitors stay on your site longer, view more pages, and repeat their visits. The more manageable your site is, the more likely it is that this is going to happen. Here are a few things to keep in mind when focusing on usability:
- Error Prevention: Certain errors on a website can affect not only the user's experience but also your SEO ranking. For example, the common and dreaded 404 Page Not Found error. If there are lots of errors and broken links on your website, viewers are likely to get frustrated and leave your site.
- Learnability: Can users learn to navigate your website quickly? Is the flow intuitive? When visitors spend too much time trying to figure out how to work your website, they are spending less time absorbing your content. Plus, when they can’t find what they need, it’s likely that they will get frustrated, click away, and not come back.
- Readability: Even if you have a well-educated audience, they probably don’t want to be deciphering a PhD dissertation every time they visit your website. Producing content that is straightforward and simple to understand makes it useful to your readers. Some experts also believe that Google takes readability into account when ranking.
- Layout and formatting: Appropriate formatting and an intuitive layout can help improve your user experience and make your content easy to scan and understand. This will lead to your readers staying on your site longer and hopefully having the content resonate with them. Formatting can help dramatically improve a webpage’s usability by making the content appear cohesive and well organized. We recommend using a font and font size that is easy to read, bold type and colors only to call out important information, short paragraphs and ample line spacing in between – nobody likes a wall of text, bulleted or numbered lists for clarity, and breaking up content into sections with subheads. Proper use of header tags that include keywords also helps improve SEO ranking.
- Contact Us page: According to a report done by Backlink on Google, websites that have sufficient contact information are considered to be more trustworthy, and therefore, may rank higher by search engines. Including a Contact Us page on your website, makes not only for great user experience but can also potentially earn you some Google positive points!
2. Make sure your Web Page is Quick to Load
There is nothing worse than getting on a website and having to wait forever for a web page to load. Google and Bing both take page-loading speed into account in their website ranking algorithm. Research shows 40% of visitors will leave websites if the page takes longer than 3 seconds to load. What’s even more influential is that 80% of those visitors won’t return to your website. This is bad for your SEO ranking because it ultimately kills traffic.
There are many ways to increase page load speed, some of which include using a caching plug-ins, making sure your code is clean and streamlined, optimizing image sizes, reducing the number of plug-ins, and minimizing redirects.
3. Post Content to LinkedIn
LinkedIn has become more than just a means of finding job. The world’s largest professional social network is now a valuable publishing platform that you can take advantage of by posting content to LinkedIn on a regular basis. Doing so can boost traffic to your site as well as increase your profile within your industry.
Not only LinkedIn, but being involved on any social media site can increase your web traffic. It is one of the best ways to promote your content. Twitter is ideal for short, enticing links, whereas Google+ promotion can help your site show up in search results of people that share your company’s interests. This tactic has proven especially effective in B2B niches. If you’re a B2C product company, however, you might find more success on image dominated social sites like Pinterest and Instagram.
4. Host Webinars
People love to learn, and webinars are an engaging way to share your wisdom to your eagerly awaiting audience. In combination with an effective social promotion campaign, webinars are a great way to increase traffic to your website. We recommend sending out a reminder email a week or so ahead of time, as well as a “last chance to register” reminder the day before the webinar. Also, make sure to archive the presentation for later viewing, and promote your webinars all across various social media. Cerkl has been hosting webinars with great success and have received very positive feedback from our customers and viewers.
Not sure how to do a webinar? There are so many great resources on the web to teach you how! Here is one article from Marketo: https://www.marketo.com/ebooks/how-to-produce-and-manage-successful-webinars/
5. Stay on top of Content
Here at Cerkl, we think content is pretty important, and turns out, we are not the only ones! What type of content as well as its relevance can have an impact on your SEO. Regularly updated content is viewed as one of the best indicators of a site’s relevancy, so be sure to keep it up to date and fresh.
When it comes to content, there is no one size fits all or golden rule to follow. For this reason, we suggest having the length and format of your content vary to make it as appealing as possible to different kinds of readers. Mix shorter, news-based blog posts with longer content as well as video, infographics, and data-driven pieces for the best impact.